Meet Us on FacebookFollow Us on TwitterFollow Us on InstagramRead our Trip Advisor reviews
You are here: The Linny»History

History

 

The Linny

The Linny Inn dates back to the 14th Century.  It is thought that it was built circa 1368 as two farm cottages.  They belonged to Court Barton Farm which stands in the shadow of St. Bartholomew Church, Coffinswell, which was consecrated in 1159.  The cottages, farm and surrounding land were owned by the Carew family until the 1940s when it was sold to the Randall family.  The extent of the original building can be seen by the two fireplaces at either end of the Bar.The car park was a vegetable patch at the rear of the building.

In 1954, the cottages became vacant and Tom Langmuir secured the rent of the building from the Randall family.  He applied for planning permission for a Public House, but was refused a full license. A petition of signatures was compiled from villages and local people and a members Country Club was formed.

The Linny Club was opened on 3rd July 1954 and got its name from Linhay, which in the English dictionary is the name for a barn, outbuilding or annexe.  The snug and small snug were the outbuilding.  In Scotland, Linhay is spelt Linny and Tom Langmuir, the original licensee was a Scotsman.

The Linny Club traded successfully and was extended and re-opened on Monday 21st September 1969, it was again further extended, refurbished and re-thatched in 1976.  The top ridge of The Linny was re-thatched with reed in November 1993, and  a complete re-thatch took place in November 2005.

 

Coffinswell

The names of Coffinswell and those of its neighbouring villages  originated  from the estates that existed very soon after the Anglo-Saxon period of 1066.  In 1086 the Doomsday Book names a manor at Willa or Willie.  It was situated three miles from Newton Abbot and three miles from the nearest coastline and comprised of 1035 acres of manorial land. 

Its springs and wells give rise to two streams, Aller Brook and Doddawell, later known as Beersbrook which run through the village.  Coffinswell was named after the unfailing springs of clear water that provided a good location for the homes of estate labourers. 

This view is supported by the Oxford Dictionary  of Place Names, which confirms the name  as ‘The spring or well of the Coffyn family;  Coffyn-His-Well’.  The name ‘Kerswell’ derives from ‘Carswiella’ which is the Saxon for Watercress Spring.